Navigating Colorado’s skilled trades job market as an employer can be challenging. The shortage of talent can make hiring difficult.
According to the Institute for Supply Management’s Winter 2022 Semiannual Economic Forecast, over 80% of US manufacturing firms reported challenges filling job vacancies last year. An additional 43% of employers said they provided higher pay rates to attract and retain skilled workers.
Fortunately, you can take steps to hire the skilled trades professionals you need to reach your business goals. These methods can help.
Implement these strategies to help navigate Colorado’s skilled trades job market as an employer.
Include safety in your company’s culture:
- Emphasize the importance of regular safety training within your organization.
- Clarify how your company minimizes the risks of on-the-job injuries and illnesses.
- Provide examples of how leadership drives safety from the top down.
Provide Training and Mentorship
Use training and mentorship programs to transfer knowledge and provide career guidance and support:
- Pair new hires with experienced employees.
- Emphasize company integration and professional development.
- Focus on employee resilience and succession planning.
- Offer curriculum-guided training to optimize productivity.
- Focus on skill development for success within your organization.
Emphasize Career Opportunities
Point out the advantages of pursuing a skilled trade career:
- The potential to complete education and training with little to no school debt.
- The ability to secure on-the-job training while going to school.
- Competitive starting pay and benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities for raises and promotions.
Partner with Academic and Vocational Institutions
Form partnerships with local high schools, technical schools, and vocational schools:
- Share the changing knowledge and skills that should be included in the curriculum to help prepare students for the skilled trades workforce.
- Build relationships with relevant career counselors, program administrators, and students to gain access to large, renewable talent pools.
- Create internships and apprenticeships to attract students to your company.
Leverage Social Media
Use social media for marketing, branding, and hiring:
- Tell your company’s story.
- Demonstrate your company’s culture.
- Show what a career with your firm might look like.
- Offer an employee referral program.
- Share employee testimonials.
- Advertise skilled trades jobs with competitive compensation and benefits packages.
- Offer flexibility, paid educational opportunities, and other employee advantages.
- Interact with members of your target audience.
- Encourage followers to share your job postings.
- Widen your talent pool.
Work with a Staffing Firm
Partner with a local staffing firm that specializes in the skilled trades:
- Gain access to a wide, deep network of experienced professionals.
- Interview qualified candidates who fit your goals and needs.
- Hire skilled workers who blend with your culture.
- Get help with onboarding.
- If needed, request a replacement at no charge.
Partner with Job Store Staffing
Work with Job Store Staffing for help with navigating Colorado’s skilled trades job market. Start the process today.