Most jobs come with a significant amount of stress. Although the desire to perform your best is important, it is not always easy.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take to manage your stress throughout the day. This helps you balance your mood to stay engaged and productive.
The following tips can help you to de-stress during your workday.
Personalize Your Office
Decorate your office to express who you are.
- Display artwork and photos of family and friends.
- Include a plant for greenery.
- Use these objects as visual resting points to relax your eyes while taking breaks from your computer screen.
Organize Your Desk
Keep your desk as orderly as possible.
- Have on your desk only what you need at the moment.
- Maintain a spot for essential items in your desk.
- Remove garbage and clutter from your desk.
- Keep your files organized in a cabinet or electronically for easy access.
Monitor Your Workload
Make sure you have enough time to complete your tasks before the deadline.
- Talk with your manager about reprioritizing your projects if asked to take on a new one.
- Learn to say “no” to social activities you do not have time for or lack interest in.
Schedule Your Day
Create a plan for what you need to accomplish each day.
- Block out enough time to complete each task.
- Begin with your most challenging task so it can be completed first.
- Focus on your less important tasks later in the day.
- Move any unfinished work to the next day.
- Complete a task before moving to the next one.
- Schedule breaks throughout the day.
- Include two or three blocks of time to manage your email and make phone calls.
- Maintain flexibility for unexpected events.
Schedule regular breaks throughout the day.
- Walk away from your desk to completely disengage.
- Limit your caffeine intake.
- Enjoy some dried fruit, pretzels, or water to provide fuel for your body.
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables with your healthy lunch.
- Take a quick walk, stretch, or meditate to clear your head.
Make Time for Movement
Take 10 minutes each day to move around.
- Stretch in your office.
- Practice simple yoga poses.
- Take quick walks around the building.
Focus on Quiet Time
Take a few minutes throughout the day to calm your mind.
- Take deep breaths.
- Read a book.
- Listen to soft music.
- Write down five things you are grateful for.
Acknowledge Your Accomplishments
Praise yourself for the tasks you complete each day.
- Acknowledge that your work was done before the deadline.
- Celebrate the daily progress you make.
- Focus on attaining your short- and long-term goals.
If having a new job would help you to de-stress, make your search easier by partnering with Job Store Staffing. Visit our job board today.